Welding Chromoly Tubing is a very good option because you can end up needing such a skill at times. Chromoly is an alloy and it has molybdenum and chromium, but also a few other elements. With that being said, it does have a low alloy steel, so it’s not as durable. With that being said, the Chromoly Tubing can still be a very good option and you will find it works flawlessly and it can save a significant amount of time.
The Chromoly Tubing TIG welding process
- The important thing to do here is to prepare the tube. Since Chromoly is a thin metal, the residue left there can end up having a negative effect on your welding process. A lot of people run the tube via a lathe at a slow/medium speed so it all works great.
- Then you have to go through fitment and tacking, making sure it’s all fitted is important here. Once that is done, you do want to have a few tack welds to ensure there are some starting points for the final weld.
- The torch setup is important, so try to adapt it to the size of the weld. We recommend picking the best filler materials, some of the best are ER70S-2 and ER80S-D2.
- Since we go with TIG welding, the welding process should be slower. You need a lift arc, and you can torch the tungsten to the base metal, and start welding.
- We recommend sloping in and out gradually, since the allow itself tends to be rather temperamental.
- Tungsten has to be close to the metal if possible. And yes, remember that you shouldn’t cool the weld very fast.
Is Chromoly stronger when compared to steel?
When you attempt TIG welding any Chromoly Tubing, you have to note that Chromoly is actually stronger than steel. It comes with a very good tensile strength, so that on its own can become a bit of a challenge when you attempt a variety of welding methods.
Since this is a powerful alloy, you will be able to create a light structure that’s stronger when compared to steel. The material thickness matters here and it’s certainly a thing to keep in mind. It’s important to keep in mind that Chromoly Tubing can be MIG and TIG welded, but TIG welding is usually the better option especially if you’re new to this.
As you can see, learning how to TIG weld Chromoly Tubing requires a bit of precision. So it’s definitely something to prepare for before you attempt it. The more you focus on that, the better the results will be. Of course this has its fair share of difficulties, but Chromoly Tubing welding is one of those methods that can indeed offer amazing benefits. At the end of the day, adequate TIG welding methods can actually help immensely, but there are a lot of things to think about and certainly you need to pay attention to all of that for the best results!